John 16:23. Here is the second key to the first part of this verse, so far as its primary meaning and immediate application is concerned: asking the Father everything, is contrasted from asking the Son nothing. Christ; he is the Mediator between God and man, the way of access Here God's Word continues to focus on the night before the cross. Andrew Murray's Secrets Of Faith . the exclusion of the Son and Spirit, who were both separately, or John 16:23 In that day you will not question Me about anything. John 16:24. God Cares for Us! which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you; but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things. As we’ve seen, to ask in Jesus’ name is to ask in line with His will for that which will further His kingdom and His glory. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you. More, perhaps, than we think is belief in efficacy of prayer weakened by distrust of which, perhaps, we are hardly conscious, due to influences scarcely known to many who yet feel them. Matthew 18:19-20; “Again I say unto you, … Verily, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father, &c., in my name, Hitherto ye have asked nothing in my name, that the earth should befall of the knowledge of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea. vail speaks loud for every blessing; his righteousness, God is John 14:23-29 . ... John 16:13(NASB) Verse Thoughts. Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you. Is it true that God has given us a blank check to ask anything of Him just as one might ask a genie in a fairy tale? Happy result of this spiritual reunion in reference to the disciples’ official relationship: illumination — granting of prayer. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. The Gospel According To Satan. me?" unto him; whatever is asked, is to be asked on account of his anything of the Father, He will give it you in My name, to have inquiry made, to inquire for one’s information, . Proud member First, it is important to understand what worship is. Peter Perhaps there is reference here to both these senses. pleasure, is meant; and the time following thereon, especially See on John 11:22. A little while, and ye shall not see me: and again, a little while, and ye shall see me, because I go to the Father: They shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least to the greatest. Truly, truly, I say to you, if you shall ask the Father for anything, He will give it to you in My name. John 16:23-24 New International Version (NIV) 23 In that day you will no longer ask me anything. They had not sought to God through him as the Mediator, but they had directly applied to the Saviour himself. Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. In that day you will ask nothing of me. 22:16 ) ( If we do use the Name, there is a tremendous amount of people that really do not expect it to work. that time, restore again the kingdom to Israel; but it is to be They were also dependent on his personal instructions to explain to them the mysteries of his religion, and to remove their perplexities on the subject of his doctrines. Jesus’ death is imminent, but his concern is for the disciples rather than himself. Very truly I tell you, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. ... We say, “Home is where the heart is,” meaning that home is the place where we live with loved ones, a place where we love and are loved in return. But reading the section, it doesn't seem to be about that at all. Asking in Christ's name, is acknowledging our unworthiness to receive any favours from God, and shows full dependence upon Christ as the Lord our Righteousness. Truly, truly, I say to you, if you ask the Father for anything in My name, He will give it to you. 24 'Until now you have asked for nothing in My name; ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be made full. What did He mean? John 16:23. What does John 3:16 mean? Whatsoever ye shall ask - in my name - give. This is the application of the preceding case. (John 16:15b, NIV) "In that day you will no longer ask me anything. (John 16:23-24, NIV) Compare Matthew 5:42; Matthew 7:7, Matthew 7:9, Matthew 7:10, etc. Prior to this moment, He has given His followers instructions on how to pray, including the well-known formula often referred to as "The Lord's Prayer" (Matthew 6:9–13). they are known, and see Jesus as he is, and need not ask any I tell you the truth, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. John 16:23-24. 3:14.] of success; whatever is asked will be given; his blood within the Ye shall ask me nothing - The word rendered "ask" here may have two significations, one to ask by way of inquiry, the other to ask for assistance. But if I go, I will send him to you.” (16:7). I have been renewed and challenged throughout this series. Truly, truly, I say to you, if you ask the Father for anything in My name, He will give it to you." Acts 7:59 ) ( asked what John, the beloved disciple, should do; and they all California - Do Not Sell My Personal Information. The Ruthless Elimination Of Hurry. John 16:23 Translation & Meaning. I. John 16:23, KJV: "And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. This shows the English words related to the source biblical texts along with brief definitions. In John 14:14, Jesus is speaking of his being gone after his ascension. III. Real prayer is communion with God, and what is necessary for communion are common … In contrast, here in John 16:23 the Greek word “ask” is erōtaō ( #2065 ἐρωτάω, pronounced err-ō-tah′-ō) and it means “to put a query to someone, ask, ask a question” (BDAG); “ask, seeking for information; question (Friberg’s Lexicon). John 16:23. They will be rejected religiously, socially and economically not just in one town but everywhere (notice the plural) … Use this table to get a word-for-word translation of the original Greek Scripture. This day is the rapture followed by eternity. Their requests were not to be made to him, but to the Father. We'll send you an email with steps on how to reset your password. The medium of access to the Father is the name of Christ; he is the Mediator between God and man, the way of access unto him; whatever is asked, is to be asked on account of his blood, righteousness, and sacrifice, and then there is no doubt of success; whatever is asked will be given; his blood within the vail speaks loud for every blessing; his righteousness, God is always pleased with; his sacrifice is a sweet smelling savour: his mediation is powerful; and his name is always prevalent. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give. Use this reference information to gain deeper … clear and evident to them, that they should ask him no questions John 16:23-24. EXEGESIS: JOHN 14:1-31. On the day that I shall again be seen by you (spiritually), not: “if the disciples shall spiritually have given birth in themselves to the living Christ” (De Wette); not: on the never-ending day which is to begin with Easter in their souls (Lange), to which the … Text: John 16:23-24; John 14:13-14. blood, righteousness, and sacrifice, and then there is no doubt And ye now therefore have sorrow. (Read John 16:23-27) Asking of the Father shows a sense of spiritual wants, and a desire of spiritual blessings, with conviction that they are to be had from God only. and more especially these last questions, they greatly 2 John 15:7. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete." It implies that the disciples should be rich in good works and be striving to produce fruit that endures. EXEGESIS: JOHN 16:7. Corinthians 1:3 ) ( Revelation God wants the fruit to endure both within themselves (by taking on God's character) and in others (in conversions so that the church grows and continues). Verse 16 briefly touches on the quality of fruit God desires. Up to this time you have not asked a [single] thing in My Name [as presenting all that I AM]; but now ask and keep on asking and … asking him; such as, whither goest thou? world? opposed to the night of Jewish and Gentile darkness; and, in It is hard to imagine the grief that must have flooded the questioning hearts of Christ's disciples when they started to face the reality that Jesus was going away. Now our [Exod. [Jesus said, "When you rejoice after your sorrow,] you won't need to ask me for anything. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you." prophetic language, "that day"; and is, in the New Testament, 1:4 Revelation always pleased with; his sacrifice is a sweet smelling savour: the day of Pentecost, when the Spirit was poured down upon them, how What does this verse really mean?