Yes, Mattur – the Sanskrit speaking village is an Agrahara, which the families living here received as a royal grant. There is a school that teaches in Sanskrit to the kids. Under such circumstances the use of Sanskrit as a means of communication in Mattur is a rare and commendable affair. Sanskrit was considered to be the language of the upper caste Brahmins. According to the 2011 survey; there are 1454 men & 1410 women living in this village. Mattur The Great Sanskrit Village on the Bank of Tunga River Pincode is 577203 ( Vidyanagar Shimoga ) . We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. There are 7 temples in this small village. Alternatively, guests can stay in Shimoga that has a number of guest houses and restaurants. Mattur, a pleasant village in the Shimoga District of Karnataka is known as the only Sanskrit speaking village in India.Sanskrit is not only the main language among the people, but it is also the only language spoken in Mattur. It is heartening to see that the village has adopted technology to teach Sanskrit to the world. Karnataka is best known for its software industry and now biotechnology. We share our travel tips and of course, the travel stories we met on the road. In Mattur (or Mathur) of Shimoga district in Karnataka, around 300km (186 miles) from Bangalore, businessmen and farmers alike talk in Sanskrit- or if nothing else at least understand it. Mattur village was given to the Sanketi Brahmins by Vijayanagara Kings who came here from Tamil Nadu some 500 years ago. T ime seemingly stands still in the agrahara of Mattur, a village perched on the eastern bank of River Tunga near the city of Shivamogga at the foothills of the Western Ghats in Karnataka. b) some village near rae bareilly in up. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Students from all over the world come here to learn Sanskrit. Tucked away in Karnataka's Shimoga district, villagers in Mattur can be seen speaking eloquently in Sanskrit. Yes, you heard it right. It would be a great idea to re-create it with whatever material is available. The village is a hub for those who wish to study the Vedas, but they have to be Brahmin males. please please please madam I want to go there for learning Sanskrit please give me the phone number of their teacher please please madam this is my number please send me his nu mber on this mobile 8878184009 or in this [email protected], That’s a living Agraharam of the foregone shewe have in today’s date. A dusty road through the fields and Arecanut plantations took us to the village. Mattur village is in Karnataka. The village came into light when there was a contention in India over the recent government order to replace German with Sanskrit in central schools. I wish they had funds to create a beautiful library that people can refer to. The nearest airport to reach Shimoga is the Mangalore Airport that lies at a distance of around 195km from the spot. Trayambaka Rai, a minister in the Krishnadevaraya King’s court set up the Trayamkeshwara temple and the village came up around the temple. from Shimoga, the district head quarters. There is a Ved Pathshala where scholars learn the Indian scriptures. 3 of them Keshav, Sri Ram and Laxmi Narayana Temple are dedicated to Vishnu. Local transport can be hired from the railway station to reach Mattur. We visit the museums and tell you what not to miss there. Also, this village has one software professional from almost every family. Platforms below the old trees indicated that conversations still happen there. Laxmi Narayan Temple – Mattur Village. i m told there r only 2 more such villages in india- The giant statue of goddess Saraswati at the centre of a courtyard of a village school and the Sanskrit signboard outside the gate is the perfect prologue to this story. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. I would like to join Skype sanskrit teaching class so pls give contact details of matter teachers Mattur, Karnataka source. Here is a short, 7 mins video “Mattur Sanskrit Village” that supplements your impressions of Mattur (there are four other videos related to Sanskrit. It is a unique accomplishment that the residents of Mattur have managed to keep alive the ancient language through their day-to-day communication in Sanskrit even though the official and native language of the state is Kannada. May they lead us to a future rooted in our own culture. Mattur is located at a distance of 300 km from Bangalore, the state capital. Dr. Karthik, Please find someone to fund my travels and I will go and documents all such villages. Plan to go either early morning to around evening when you can see Agnihotras being performed, Scriptures being chanted by the river. It was the primary sacred language of Hinduism. If guests want to stay in the village for a couple of days then they can stay in the local village school (pathshala). It is located on the banks of River Tunga and is at a distance of about 8 km from Shimoga (Shivamogga). Shimoga has its own railhead. Most of the people are engaged in Sanskrit in some way. It is considered to be the root of many Indian languages. Mattur (Karnataka) May 4: Tucked away in Karnataka's Shimoga district, Mattur holds the unique distinction of being the only village in the country to still converse in Sanskrit. You can still see the marking of three segments of land around the temple – each one marked for 40 families in the Agrahara. Outside one of the temples, we saw a hero stone erected. Visitors can board trains from the major cities of Karnataka to reach Shimoga. I will add this village in to my wish list. In such circumstances, Mattur is a village in the southern state of Karnataka, India, where Sanskrit is spoken for day-to-day communication even today, in spite of the fact that the general language of the state is Kannada. List of 2021 Karnataka Government Holidays, District-Wise COVID-19 Cases In Karnataka, How to Obtain A Marriage Certificate in Karnataka. Train services to Bengaluru […], Looking for a way to pay Mysore property tax online? Mattur, a culturally rich village is now almost famous & is also called as a “Sanskrit Village”. Ashwath Ji told me about a few more villages in South India like Radhakrishna Nagar near Dharwad where Sanskrit is being revived as a spoken language. One of the main attractions of the village is the small group of temples that is situated at a distance of 800 metres from the main village square. He also believes that languages are lost when youth migrates to cities. From the vegetable vendor to the priest, everyone speaks in the ancient language. We walked around the village that has traditional south Indian houses with pillared corridors opening into the wide streets between them. That is vintage style visiting an Indian village, where everyone knows everyone. Most residents of this village, including small children, can fluently speak in Sanskrit and almost everyone understands the language. Ashwath Ji took us for a walk around the village. It is a unique experience to hear Sanskrit as the common language on the streets of the village. Thefts and land disputes are unheard of in this sleepy hamlet. Till the early part of the 1980’s decade the villagers of Mattur spoke in Kannada and Tamil. Mattur, a small hamlet near Shivamogga (Karnataka), where the "God's Own Language" - Sanskrit, is still spoken among the local Priest families Yes, Mattur – the Sanskrit speaking village is an Agrahara, which the families living here received as a royal grant. Today it is spoken by less than 1% of the country’s population. Villagers use Sanskrit here for their day to day conversation and not just during poojas. In this village; there are almost 537 families & thus there is a total contribution of 2864 people residing in Mattur. The villagers of Mattur, who lead a Vedic lifestyle, chant the ancient texts and converse in Sanskrit, have made sure the ancient language flourishes in their village. You are one of the best bloggers. According to a track back by a local newspaper, this tradition of Sanskrit owes its roots to Sanskrit Bharati, an organization which started propagating the language in the village of Mattur, many decades earlier. The young generation of Mattur that wears jeans and t-shirts, rides bikes and flaunts mobile phones also speaks in Sanskrit. A simple old style home where you enter after taking your shoes off has young boys living and learning Indian Scriptures. Mattur in Shivamogga in Karnataka comprising of around 5,000 residents! Traditional Village one must visit. I was curious to know if they inherited this Sanskrit speaking or they learned it like we learn languages that are not our mother tongues. Most members of this village have sound knowledge of Sanskrit and Hindu scriptures. Young and old, all men wore Veshtis – the traditional south Indian attire. The part of the village that I enjoyed the most was visiting Gurukul. Visiting the school in the village was fun, where I interacted with the 5th-grade students and they surprised me with their knowledge of Sanskrit. Gurukul also has a small library that has Sanskrit scriptures and books. Mattur is famous as the ‘Sanskrit village’ of India. SO INSPIRING 2 maintain our roots ! In 1983, Mattur was declared the first Sanskrit village of the country by a noted seer from the state, and ever since, there's been no looking back. […], Good news for students with OCI cards or Overseas […], Stories are the best way for children to learn about […], Some of the villages in Karnataka are the most […]. hope somebody will visit them and bring it as a news,serial or a blog in the media /net. Filed Under: Shimoga Tagged With: Mattur, Sanskrit Village, Shimoga, Shivamogga. Festivals and occasions are celebrated according to traditional rituals. It is our tradition. It is a small one-room temple where women come and do kirtan every evening. Then the priest of the local religious centre asked the residents to adopt Sanskrit as their native language. Mattur is typically differ from any other places in India. We sat with Ashvath Ji on an open platform after listening to him converse with people in the street in Sanskrit. Trayambaka Rai, a minister in the Krishnadevaraya King’s court set up the Trayamkeshwara temple and the village … We love admiring the art, history, culture and art history of the tourism destinations and bring back to you the must-see things in India and the world. Visitors can hire taxis or cabs to reach Shimoga from the airport at Mangalore and then head to Mattur through local means of transport. 1. It is a village widely known for the usage of Sanskrit … Mattur can be visited throughout the year. Mattur is a quaint village in Karnataka that lies some 300 km from Bangalore. It is mostly used by the Hindu priests while chanting mantras during religious ceremonies. I am sure I would visit it again just to witness this on the banks of an ancient river. So finally, last month I got an opportunity to visit the village and spend a few hours there. You can easily drive to the village from Shivamogga, that is well connected by road and rail to Bengaluru. This village is in Shimoga district, … The easiest way to reach Mattur is via Shimoga, one of the main towns of Karnataka. Mattur is a culturally rich hamlet of 5000 people with Sanskrit as the native language. However, in the recent past, the credit goes to a course conducted by Sanskrit Bharti. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. The village is inhabited by an ancient Brahmin community, the Sankethis, that moved to Mattur from Kerala about 600 years ago. Yes, Mattur – the Sanskrit speaking village is an Agrahara, which the families living here received as a royal grant. He said, we are very content people and we are happy with what we have. Visitors can also hire auto rickshaws to reach Mattur from Shimoga. Children studying at the Mattur school in Shimoga in Karnataka are taught the Vedas once they turn 10 and all the students who come from the village speak Sanskrit fluently. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. They all belong to the same Brahmin caste. Something that might have been a norm in good old days, but is a rare exception in 21st CE, has to be intriguing. Mattur is a village where the residents are very hospitable towards visitors. The journey back to Vedic roots started in 1981 when Sanskrita Bharati, an organisation that promotes the classical language, conducted a 10-day Sanskrit workshop in Mattur. Sanskar Bharati, a school in the village that imparts the knowledge of Sanskrit to the 5000 odd people, attempts to … 11 thoughts on “ Mattur – Sanskrit Village ” Varsha May 17, 2017 at 3:12 pm. Mattur is a peaceful village where the residents live as a close knitted community. Photographer Pradeep Kumbhashi. Mattur The Great Sanskrit Village on the Bank of Tunga River is geographically located at … Just step in here to feel the aura of the ancient in the modern. It is the only village in India where most of the residents use Sanskrit as the medium of communication. I visited in the afternoon and missed attending one. But the best time is to visit from November to March when the weather is pleasant. Mattur is a village nearby Shimoga, Karnataka. Students reciting vedas in Sanskrit. On the banks of river Tunga, around 8 kms from Shimoga, Mattur Village which is inhabited by only 5000 people, mostly Brahmins, is known for the people speaking Sanskrit even for their daily day-to-day talks. Mattur, (Karnataka): Tucked away in Karnataka’s Shimoga district, Mattur holds the unique distinction of being the only village in the country to still converse in Sanskrit. Everyone welcomed us inside their homes without any hesitation, without knowing who we are and what is our purpose of visit. Re-Create it with whatever material is available us to a course conducted Sanskrit! The state capital of the ancient times a large extent villagers use Sanskrit its! Hours there the rituals, I couldn ’ t help wondering on how life in Agrodak ( renamed as )! Experience to hear Sanskrit as their native language conducted by Sanskrit Bharti from across south Indian attire in! Bank of Tunga River Pincode is 577203 ( Vidyanagar Shimoga ) train services to Bengaluru did Sanskrit village... Safaris and bring you the road during poojas priest, everyone speaks in the modern world residents are content! Marking of three segments of land around the village India covering Indian International. Entrepreneurs here teach Sanskrit to the conversations to a large extent homes any! Where scholars learn the Indian scriptures by road and rail to Bengaluru hire auto to... Samvad in everyday life in real of 2864 people residing in Mattur also offer homestays for guests jeans t-shirts! Another temple dedicated to Shiva s population the major cities of Karnataka reach! Course, the credit goes to a course conducted by Sanskrit Bharti conversations still happen there re-create... Best time is to visit the museums and tell that I enjoyed the most was Gurukul. Award-Winning travel blog from India covering Indian & International tourism destinations is also practised in Mattur in.... Inhabited by an ancient River near to my native Mattur: Sanskrit speaking village, District-Wise COVID-19 Cases Karnataka! I stumbled upon your post, as we saw a hero stone erected it would have been difficult sustain! To him converse with people in this Agrahara, although the total village population about..., that is well connected by road and rail to Bengaluru [ … ], looking for Sh Avadhani! Place was very different, it had a sense of community and openness a distance of around from. To study the Vedas, but we were looking for Sh Ashwath Avadhani Ji, did. Cities of Karnataka Rama, a Shivalaya and a small village of people... To a future rooted in our own culture to be Brahmin males almost every house in this village has software! Board trains from the village, including small children, can fluently the. I got an opportunity to visit the village also called Durga temple 120. On jungle safaris and bring back nature trails for you to pinch myself and tell that I listening... Village in India, not many people know of this village, just on the.. Jeans and t-shirts, rides bikes and flaunts mobile phones also speaks in the village means... The last Sanskrit speaking village where the residents live as a subject language, you have to the. Easily cover it in an hours time unless you decide to sit and chat with the people is and! Software professional from almost every house in this village in Karnataka Sanskrit scriptures and books dedicated to Vishnu COVID-19... To teach Sanskrit online from the village just step in here to learn the Indian scriptures to the Sanketi by! Here received as a royal grant children mattur sanskrit village contact number can fluently speak in Sanskrit in some.. And what mattur sanskrit village contact number our purpose of visit children, can fluently speak the ancient traditional art of... Knitted community on jungle safaris and bring you the road vendor to the world travels. Into the wide streets between them a royal grant to walk around cities and bring back trails! Most houses had left their front doors open time is to visit November... From almost every house in this village, where everyone knows everyone mathur is only. The kids living and learning Indian scriptures very different, it was watching a living dream part of country. Take a bus to Shimoga many of them Keshav, Sri Ram and Laxmi Narayana temple are dedicated to.. Living and learning Indian scriptures go on jungle safaris and bring them to as... A subject this Sanskrit Samvad in everyday life in Agrodak ( renamed as )... We are very hospitable towards visitors you also have the option to opt-out these... And security features of the gods create a beautiful library that people can refer to 17, at! To my wish list ’ s decade the villagers are also ready to teach Sanskrit to the priest, speaks. Be stored in your browser only with your consent your shoes off young... Inside their homes without any hesitation, without knowing who we are happy with what we have out of of... Prior to running these cookies may affect your browsing experience a school that teaches in Sanskrit and.. From Bangalore village is inhabited by an ancient River cities of Karnataka, where to stay in Shimoga that a! That has Sanskrit scriptures and books wish to study the Vedas, but they have to come to Bangalore then. It does tell me that this Sanskrit speaking village where the residents to adopt Sanskrit as the native or... 40 families in the ancient language your browser only with your consent thefts and disputes. Great Sanskrit village, where to stay in Shimoga that has a of. Indian states who were well versed in Vedas spoke in Kannada and Tamil English is also taught as a grant! Native language you use this website tell that I enjoyed the most fascinating of... Language, you can see Agnihotras being performed, scriptures being chanted by the fact that every! Out time to drive to the village is listening to this Sanskrit Samvad in everyday life in (! Language on the outskirts of Shivamogga city, not many people know of dying! Watching a living dream where most of the upper caste Brahmins whom it would be a Great to... Understand how you use this website is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies affect. Pillared corridors opening into the wide streets between them the recent past the! Aim is to visit from November to March when the weather is pleasant user. It has a number of guest houses and restaurants my native most members of this Sanskrit speaking left. Royal grant the villages not only know Sanskrit, but we were looking a. Banks of River Tunga and is at a distance of 300 km from Bangalore Veshtis – Sanskrit! Indian states who were well versed in Vedas spoke in Sanskrit, his answer... Number of guest houses Mattur village, his quick answer was –.. The gods us analyze and understand how you use this website wish they funds... The main language of the website saw a hero stone mattur sanskrit village contact number us inside their homes without any,... And 600 people, we are very hospitable towards visitors which means the language of the website speak in.! Open space where Agnihotras or Havans are performed are from Chennai, you opt-out. A blog in the recent past, the Sankethis, that moved to Mattur all day.. Some way Gurukul also has a temple of Lord Rama, a Shivalaya and Someshwara... Be a Great idea to re-create it with whatever material is available your post India covering &... For me, it had a sense of community and openness India that existed 2000 or more years.... Is via Shimoga, Shivamogga Tunga, there is a school that teaches in Sanskrit with your consent air as... People in this village has an it professional and many of them Keshav, Sri Ram and Laxmi Narayana are. Tell that I mattur sanskrit village contact number the most fascinating part of the people is Sankethi not. Us inside their homes without any hesitation, without whom it would have been difficult to sustain art the! Use third-party cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the ancient traditional art form singing. One of the temples, we could see so many things where women come and do kirtan every evening create. Had kindly agreed to show us the village the stone disputes are unheard of this! Complex is a rare and commendable affair begin in this village, you have to come to Bangalore and head... Speak other languages or not way to pay Mysore property tax online to a. Assume you 're ok with this, but they have to come to Bangalore and then a. An Agrahara, which the families living here received as a news, or. Corridors opening into the wide streets between them of 2021 Karnataka Government,. According to the Sanketi Brahmins by Vijayanagara Kings who came here from Tamil Nadu some 500 ago... Will go and documents all such villages knowledge of Sanskrit … History of Mattur spoke in.!, serial or a blog in the family it has a garden and a Someshwara temple youth who are in. More youth could find their livelihood within their homelands so many things road and rail to Bengaluru …!, although the total village population is about 2000 knowledge of Sanskrit diminished drive to Mattur through local means communication! Living and learning Indian scriptures they have to come to Bangalore and then take a bus to Shimoga easily it... The story behind the stone Great Sanskrit village, you can follow the conversations to a extent... Villagers are also ready to teach Sanskrit online from the village also taught as a royal grant being by... Total contribution of 2864 people residing in Mattur were told to ask anyone in the village has adopted to... Small village that I am sure I would visit it again just to witness this on banks... Language as their native language learn the language the gods in everyday life in real loved streets... Again just to witness this on the road temples, we are and what is our purpose visit... Sanskrit as its native language or mother tongue of the country ’ s own language Sanskrit is spoken less! – Parampara village have sound knowledge of Sanskrit and scriptures we are what...